6:00 p.m. Introductions & Burning Issues
6:15 John Brewer on WordPress Security:
Commonsense Security for WordPress
Here’s the link to John’s presentation.
Several attendees recommended Sucuri to keep your site from being blacklisted by website malware monitoring.
Yikes! This week several Cruzio sites were hacked.
Chances are we will spend the whole time on security issues. Meanwhile, here’s a link to a post I wrote with some things that can help.
On top of several clients being hacked, this very GoDaddy blog went down. GoDaddy routinely sends “patches” to address issues; however, even prior to that, only my home page was visible. They identified it (after 3 days of emails in which they said my site was coming up fine (not!):
If you have a problem with your WordPress® installation’s Permalinks, you can potentially fix the issue by enabling a different Permalink setting, and then enabling your original Permalink setting.
To Fix Permalink Issues:
- Log in to your WordPress admin panel.
- Click Settings.
- From the Settings menu, click Permalinks.
- Select any Permalink setting other than the one you currently use, and then click Save Changes.
- Select your original Permalink setting, and then click Save Changes.
If that does not fix the issue with your WordPress installation, see WordPress’ article, Using Permalinks.
Well, it worked, so now the resource page for our meeting link should be working finally.
10 Cool Plugins for WordPress:
- MP3 Player Plugin (example #1 and example #2 )
- Photo Galleries: NextGEN Gallery for WordPress (example #1 example #2)
- Photo Galleries: Simple Viewer (example)
- “301 Redirects“
- Best Forms Plugin: Gravity Forms
- Backup Buddy
- Social Media Using Thesis (example)
- Google Translator Button (example)
- Calendar (example)
7:00 Questions asked and answered by our group.