Selecting the Right Business Hosting “Partner”
So, you’d like me to help you build a site using a web-based easy site builder. But, which one is best?
I’ve evaluated them all, so you don’t have to. I like Squarespace, Weebly and Shopify for eCommerce. Let’s take a look at each one and determine which has the right features for your venture.
- Squarespace feels like a mix of WordPress and Drag ‘n Drop. It’s simple, but a bit overwhelming at first.
- Steeper learning curve. In the beginning you’ll have to double-click or click a specific button to see more options. The minimalistic looks give you the impression of a sophisticated platform, but it can hinder beginners.
- Editor: Some weird text in there. For example: “URL slug: The unique location slug for this page.”; “Page Layout: Page [sic] the overall layout for this page.”
Weebly’s editor is one of the easiest website builder options to use, and the low learning curve still nets great-looking sites. That ease-of-use means the editor is more limited in terms of add-ons and design flexibility, and it doesn’t have the range of options or mobile customization that Squarespace.
- Weebly is by far the easiest website builder.
- Creating a website is super intuitive: you just click on the element from the left sidebar and drop it where you want.
- The editor is well organized. No need to struggle with little hidden buttons or weird icons.
Before we can start building your new home, you’ll need an address. Both Squarespace and Weebly can register a unique domain for you. It’s best for you as the business owner, to provide them with your specific credit card information and preferred passwords. That way, if your domain or hosting is about to expire, they will find you. I’ve heard too many horror stories about lost passwords. Like, say, trying to re-new a client’s domain when it was purchased by their previous Web Developer (who moved to Brazil and changed his email address). But while the services let you use a domain you’ve acquired from another registrar, you must pay the site builder for the privilege.
Once you have your hosting set up, we choose a template that automatically re-formats your site for viewing on mobile devices. Any site builder these days must be capable of producing sites that play well on mobile.
Making Money From Your Site
If you want to go all out for sales, you’ll want to move up to a more-dedicated Web shopping cart service such as Shopify. More advanced options found in some builders let you process credit card payments and add your own cart and checkout pages. The more powerful site builders include product promotions, email marketing, and inventory and shipping tools.
One Caveat: If you decide that your are dissatisfied with Weeby or Squarespace and want to quit, the site goes bye-bye.