Here’s my step-by-step guide when using WordPress SEO by Yoast.
I used this resource: How to Install and Setup WordPress SEO Plugin by Yoast, the most complete, all-in-one SEO solution.
- Check “Use meta keywords” tag. This will allow you to see the Meta Keywords in the post edit panel.
- Webmaster Tools: We add the Verification Meta Code here.
- Title Settings: Check “Force rewrite titles.”
- Based upon your/our keyword research, we will define the title for our homepage and then the title templates for post, page and attachments.
- Indexation: Click author archives, date-based archives, tag archives, disable the author archives.
- XML Sitemap: Click Enable XML, Ping Yahoo, Ping Ask.com.
- Permalinks: Click Enforce trailing slash, redirect attachment URLs.
- Internal Links Settings: Enable breadcrumbs.
- RSS Feed. The feeds should never be indexed. Also, we are already pinging search engines when a new post is published, so no need to have that option.